2nd degree (Master)
English and Hebrew
Dr. Itamar harel
Coordinator Office Hours:
By appointment, Silberman building, Room 3-536
Dr. Itamar Harel
The course is based on seminars that are presented by the students, focusing on their research question and their scientific progress. First year students will present a short (20min) presentation introducing their research question and plan. Second year students will present a full seminar. At the end of the seminar we will have a scientific discussion lead by the students.
All members of the institute are welcome to join and contribute. During the semester, we will also have guest lectures, focusing on topics with academic importance, such as how to write an abstract, submitting a paper, etc.
1. On a social level, a way to meet and get to know other students and department members and their research topics.
2. Improve interaction and collaboration between department members. Specifically important for first year students to familiarize themselves with the techniques and topics studies at the department.
3. Learning about the state-of-the-art in genetics.
4. Training in scientific discussion as an inherent aspect of the scientific culture.
1. Acquiring the skills for preparing and presenting an academic seminar and writing an abstract.
2. Presenting the student’s research topic to other required a deep understanding of their project in the context of what is known in the field.
3. First-hand exposure to advanced experimental techniques.
4. Be an integrative part of the group of MSc students
Learning outcomes - On successful completion of this module, students should be able to:
At the end of the course the students will perfect their abilities in critical reading of scientific literature, and presenting a scientific seminar.
The students will learn how to write a scientific abstract.
The students will be more experience in presenting in front of an audience.
The students will learn to distinguish between a lecture and a seminar
The students will familiarize themselves with the research topics, and techniques, and colleagues at department.
Teaching arrangement and method of instruction:
Papers related to the student's topic of choice.
Additional Reading Material:
End of year written/oral examination 0 %
Presentation 100 %
Participation in Tutorials 0 %
Project work 0 %
Assignments 0 %
Reports 0 %
Research project 0 %
Quizzes 0 %
Other 0 %
Evaluation is based on the seminar given by the student.