2nd degree (Master)
English and Hebrew
Coordinator Office Hours:
Prof Michael Temkin
Introduction to the basic properties of algebraic numbers.
Getting acquainted with the basic properties of the rings of integers in number fields, decomposition of prime ideals in extensions, cyclotomic fields, finiteness of the class number, finite generation of the group of units.
Learning outcomes - On successful completion of this module, students should be able to:
- to compute rings of integers in algebraic number fields of low degree
- to decompose an ideal to a product of primes
- to evaluate the ramification indices and inertial degrees of primes in extensions of low degree
- to compute units of number fields
- to prove simple properties of algebraic number fields.
Teaching arrangement and method of instruction:
Traces and norms, discriminants, integral ring extensions, Number fields, integer rings, Dedekind rings, ramification and inertia, cyclotomic fields, the geometric embedding, finiteness of the class group, the structure of the group of units.
Additional Reading Material:
End of year written/oral examination 0 %
Presentation 0 %
Participation in Tutorials 0 %
Project work 100 %
Assignments 0 %
Reports 0 %
Research project 0 %
Quizzes 0 %
Other 0 %