1st degree (Bachelor)
Coordinator Office Hours:
Dr. Rabah Halabi
We will look at the Arab educational system in Israel throughout the years and at the policy and ideology that constructed this system. We will focus on analyzing the structure of this educational system. In addition we will examine the educational goals that Arab students are exposed to, and the curricula that are being taught in Arab schools.
The goal of the course is to understand the State policy regarding the education of the Arabs in Israel through the years. We will examine the educational policy in the context of the overall policies toward the Arab minority in Israel and in view of different educational models regarding minorities in multi-cultural societies in the world.
Learning outcomes - On successful completion of this module, students should be able to:
• The students will understand the ideology behind the Arab education in Israel;
• The students will acquired basic knowledge about multi-cultural education;
• The students will develop critical tools based on Friere's approach, for analyzing educational systems, and more specific, the Arab education.
Teaching arrangement and method of instruction:
• Models for multi-culturalism
• Models for multi-cultural education
• The development of educational goals for the Arabs in Israel, through the years.
• The goals for teaching history and Arabic in the Arab schools
• The status of the Arab teacher
• Critical pedagogy and the approach of Paulo Friere
Additional Reading Material:
End of year written/oral examination 80 %
Presentation 0 %
Participation in Tutorials 10 %
Project work 0 %
Assignments 10 %
Reports 0 %
Research project 0 %
Quizzes 0 %
Other 0 %